What Is Onboarding Software?
An onboarding software solution is a digital platform that streamlines the onboarding process for new employees and hiring managers.
These platforms ensure compliance, maintain records, and allow the employee to complete all the necessary paperwork before their first day. As a result, HR is able to make in-office onboarding processes more valuable by focusing on training or other high-value activities.
Why Should Employers Use an Onboarding Software?
With an online onboarding software solution, employers can empower new hires to upload all their personal information into a single digital system, including identification documents, Social Security Numbers, addresses, emergency contacts, and other details before they even begin working.
Some of the most common compliance documents that can be stored and verified by onboarding software include:
- Form I-9: Form I-9 is a document that must be completed by every employee in the United States that is used to verify each employee’s eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Form W-4: Form W-4 is an IRS tax form that employees fill out so that employers can withhold the correct federal income tax from their wages.
- State Withholding Forms: Some states impose income taxes in addition to the existing income tax required by the federal government (W-4 deductions). Each state that withholds this additional amount from each employee’s paycheck needs to administer a state withholding form to all employees.
- Other Documentation: Organizations may require employees to read or submit additional employment forms. The best onboarding software permits users to add custom documents that personalize this process.
How the Best Onboarding Software Makes Recruiting Easier
What should employers look for in an online onboarding system? The best onboarding platforms are included as part of a human resources information system (HRIS), like BerniePortal.
Employers can use applicant tracking systems (ATS) to hire new employees and bring them on board within the same system, which cuts down on time and improves the overall experience. Additionally, hiring managers can provide new hires with company handbooks, benefit booklets, and other relevant hiring information.
When paired with or built into an HRIS, onboarding software can greatly improve the hiring process. Here’s how:
- Time Savings: Hiring managers can optimize onboarding thanks to fewer paper copies and more turnkey options.
- Improved Employee Retention: Studies show that employee turnover can be as high as 50% in the first 18 months of employment and that an employee’s perception of an organization begins with the individual’s very first interactions with the company, including the sourcing, recruiting, and onboarding processes. Simply put, a more organized onboarding process can translate to better retention.
- Enhanced Manager and Employee Productivity: Less time spent on onboarding means both employees and managers can dedicate more energy toward training and reaching full productivity.